Thursday, August 30, 2007

We Are Home -- For the Moment

We are back from our canoe trip. I have had a couple of days to get everything washed and put away. My body is readjusting to normal life without carrying 40-pound packs on my back or tripping over roots and rocks everywhere I go. I have even adjusted to sleeping on a bed rather than on the ground.

The story of the canoe trip will have to wait a bit. Bruce and I are off tomorrow to visit grandchildren and their parents in Sacramento. We will be home on Wednesday. I have written the story of the trip but want to wait until Melissa sends me a couple pictures to include. Now that Katie has gotten me started, I am determined to include a few pictures now and then.

Meanwhile, Lee e-mailed me that one of our guests would like the recipe for Blueberry Lemon Jam. So here it is:

3 pints fresh blueberries
1 package Sure-Jell
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups sugar

Crush fruit in an 8-quart pot. Add the Sure-Jell. Bring to a boil. Add the lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Fill your jars and seal them.

Here is a little tip I learned about making jam. I am sure that many of you do the same thing. The first step to making jam is to put your jars and lids in your dishwasher and turn it on. This heats and cleans the jars. Put your finished jam in these hot jars. Run the filled jars through an entire cycle in the dishwasher. It is the easiest way that I know to seal the jars.

Our garden is coming together. It is squash time and they have really started to ripen. We have zucchini, summer squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash and butternut squash. It is all wonderful. We also have some pumpkins coming and I suppose they are just another kind of squash. Bruce and I had baked spaghetti squash with just a little brown sugar on it for dinner the other night.

The weather is just a perfect fall day today. We got some rain the other night. It was wonderful to hear it. One of the summer home owners had family up who live in a high-rise in New York City. They brought their two-year old boy with them. It was the first time the child had heard rain during the night.

Today it was 51 degrees this morning. The maple tree across from the lodge entrance is starting to turn color. I am having trouble deciding what to pack for California. The weather map says the high today in Sacramento will be 102 and it will be 104 tomorrow. That is going to be a shock to the system.

By Thursday, I should be able to start the canoe trip story.

No comments: