Monday, January 08, 2007

new year, new snow, new blog, new cabins

Hi Everyone,

Mom is gone for the week so I'll try to keep you informed about what is going on at your place in the woods. First off, let me wish you a happy new year. I know we are 8 days into the month, but since this is my first time blogging this year I want to say it. When I logged in to post today the website asked me to update the version of blogger I was using...hence the new look. I hope everyone likes it. I tried to pick a look that is pretty similar to the old template. One of the nice things about the new template is that we were able to get rid of the advertising on the top of the blog.

I had received in invitation to tryout the new blogger and accidentally put the ads on the top of the blog. Then I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the ads...so they stayed there until this version of blogger was rolled out. So now we are 100% ad free (except for our shameless links to our websites and packages).

Also I want to say "Thank You" for all of the loyal readers out there. We are constantly amazed at how many people tell us that they read our blog. Once a week someone tells me they have been reading the blog.

Last night we got fresh snow. We got between 1-2 inches. So we were out grooming today and the trails look great. We have all of the ski trails open, the dog sled teams are running daily, and the snowmobile trails are open...oh and for the kids of all sizes and ages you should know that the sledding hill is in great condition! If you are looking for snow, I think we are the only part of the state with enough snow on the ground to participate in winter activities. We have a total of about 8" in the woods right now.

Today was one of those classic MN winter days. It was about 15-20 degrees outside. We had a clear sky and it was really bright outside with the sun reflecting off the snow. It was a beautiful day.

Last winter we regularly say wolves on Gunflint Lake. This year we are starting off the same. For the past week or so every morning a lone wolf is out on the ice between Gunflint Lodge and the point in front of the lodge roaming around the lake. So if you would like to see the wolves while you are up here just come early for breakfast (before 9:00 AM) and you should be able to see him on the lake between Gunflint and the point.

Speaking of winter wildlife, a couple of days ago we were driving home from Grand Marais late at night and we saw 7 moose on the drive home. It was fun to keep counting every time we saw another one. The last two were a pleasant surprise because they were outside of the primary moose zone (the primary moose zone in my mind is between the North Brule and South Brule bridges).

You have heard us talking about the cabins we have been renovating. Well with this new version of blogger I have figured out how to add pictures to the blog (at least I think I have). So I'll try to run into one of the renovated cabins and snap a couple of pictures and post them to the blog so you can see what they look like.

Have a great day.

Lee

No comments: